Cloud computing emerged as the leading technology for delivering reliable, secure, fault-tolerant, sustainable, and scalable computational services, which are presented as Software, Infrastructure, or Platform as services (SaaS, IaaS, PaaS). Moreover, these services may be offered in private data centers (private clouds), may be commercially offered for clients (public clouds), or yet it is possible that both public and private clouds are combined in hybrid clouds.
- Understand common terms and definitions of cloud computing and provide examples.
- Describe the relationship between cloud computing and virtualization.
- Name early examples of cloud computing.
- Understand several common definitions of cloud computing and their commonalities/differences.
- Recognize what types organizations might benefit from cloud computing.
- Recognize what types organizations might not benefit from cloud computing.
- Distinguish between the different types of clouds, including XaaS, IaaS, PaaS, and give examples of them.
- Recognize the similarities and differences between cloud computing and outsourcing.
- Understand the following characteristics of clouds and cloud services from a business perspective:
- Hardware independence
- Variable costs
- Time to market
- Distribution over the Internet
- Demonstrate how the characteristics of cloud computing enhance business value.
- Understand the difference between private and public types of clouds from a technical perspective and provide examples.
- Understand at a high level the following important techniques and methods for cloud computing deployment:
- Automation and Self Service
- The role of standardization
- Explain typical steps that lead to a successful adoption of cloud computing services :
- Understand selection criteria for a pilot
- Relate SaaS, PaaS, IaaS deployment to organizational goal
- Understand the roles and capabilities of cloud computing vendors and dependencies on the vendors.
- Understand the following organizational capabilities that are relevant for realizing cloud benefits:
- Skills that are required in an organization adopting cloud computing
- Critical success factors
- Describe multiple approaches for migrating applications